I’m sure you all know some very put together and well organized family that has tacos or a derivative of on Tuesday nights. Don’t get me wrong, if I was able to commit to something other than, soccer, piano, basketball, ballet, choir, swim, golf….on a weekly basis, I would. Goodness knows I love tacos! My children would pick tacos every time if given the choice, so I like to surprise them sporadically and then I can keep them trying new things.
That being said, yesterday (Tuesday) we had tacos – delicious, out of the box, crispy, corn tortilla tacos! My kids were thrilled, but I felt they needed a little more. I usually go the black bean route, but after searching the pantry – no beans. It would have to be rice. After adding a little of this and a little of that, I concocted a fabulous rice casserole if I do say so myself. When my daughter tasted it, I think she almost cried. Kid Approved! Can’t do better than that!
Corn & Rice Casserole
Recipe Type: Side Dish
Author: Helen Burns
This rice casserole is the perfect accompaniment to tacos, enchiladas, burritos or just a simple side salad. Kid tested & approved!
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cups salsa
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring water and salsa to a boil and add rice. Stir. Turn down heat and allow the rice to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork and add the corn, tomatoes, cilantro and 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake until cheese on top is melted – about 20 minutes.