This summer has been the Summer of Salads. As my husband and children will attest, it has been some sort of a salad for most meals. I don’t know what it is about the heat, but I just crave a cold, fresh salad with a piece of grilled chicken or fish and a crisp glass of rosé or vino verde. I just love summer eating!
Most of the time I just pick up some fresh produce at the farmer’s market and throw together whatever looks good. It ranges from caprese to grilled vegetables with orzo pasta, but those, my friends, are for another day. My new favorite salad, hands down, is the Roasted Summertime Chick Pea Salad from one of my favorite blogs – “How Sweet Eats”. Jessica Merchant is a genius when it comes to food and I strongly urge you to visit her website. Her dishes are always delicious and actually easy to make.
This salad is perfect for a picnic and, if you hold off add the gorgonzola and avocado right before you serve, will last a few days in the fridge. Make this salad – you wont regret it!!
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 4 ears of fresh corn, corn cut from the cob
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and add tomatoes, peppers, corn, onions and garlic. Drizzle with 1½ tablespoons olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, toss, then roast for 10 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- While veggies are cooling, add chickpeas to a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil, vinegar and honey. Set aside.
- Add veggies to the chickpeas in the bowl. Add in fresh herbs, then crumble on gorgonzola. Drizzle with dressing, tossing to coat, then top with freshly chopped avocado. Season more if desired. Serve immediately!