As you can probably tell, I am a talker. I would venture to say that most people who blog probably are talkers. So, I find myself constantly getting into long conversations with people about all sorts of things, but usually food and books. Since this is a food blog, you can guess where this is heading.
As a mother of elementary school children, I am constantly running to activities and then sitting at activities, and…talking to the other moms. Over the past couple of months I have made friends with another mom named Grier, whose daughter is on my daughter’s basketball team. Most Friday afternoons we sit on the bleachers and talk about what’s for supper, what has your favorite meal been lately – you know the usual foodie chit chat. I have found out some pretty interesting stuff about Grier. Most notably, is that she used to have a food business that she ran right out of her home. Turns out that Grier was quite the cook and entrepreneur before she had her third child. Immediately, my ears pricked up when I heard this little bite of deliciousness. Now all I want to talk about is food with her – what she made, where she bought her ingredients, how she collected payment, when she cooked, was it exhausting, if she had any future plans for her business.
From all this brow beating I have gotten some very good recipes from Grier. She told me that she got a recipe from People Magazine for this grilled chicken that is the best chicken that she has ever had – and, I think that says A LOT coming from her. So I am going to try it and maybe you will too. Enjoy!
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 5 tbsp chopped scallions
- 5 tbsp chopped lemon grass bottoms
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ¾ cup fish sauce
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- freshly ground pepper
- Combine brown sugar and next 8 ingredients in blender; puree mixture until smooth
- Combine chicken and marinade mixture in a zip-top freezer bag; seal bag and chill for one hour.
- Preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Cook chicken covered with grill lid, 8-10 minutes, turning once, until chicken is done.